On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Dan Bethe wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Louis Mandelstam wrote:
>
> > Anyone else running swapspace over RAID1?
> >
> > The reason why I'd like to do this in the first place, is that the box
> > involved needs serious uptime/HA, and I don't want to go to all the
> > trouble of RAIDing the system and data disks, just so a physical disk
> > failure hosting swap space can crash the box.
>
>       How about just making two separate swap devices (i.e. partitions)
> on each physical disk, and letting the kernel stripe it for you?  It just
> automatically does that across multiple swap devices.
>       Good idea, keep up the good work :)

The above suggestion will not work. Striping the data across multiple
drives will only increse you risk because you now have 2x the number
of drives and so twice the liklyhood of a hardware failuer(more or less)
and each process that has data on the failed drive will now be in
trouble. I am not sure how linux will deal with losing swap space that is
in use.

If you require raid because you require HA. You will have to place swap
on the raid array also.

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              ||