Hi,

> Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0x0900 (i.e. /dev/md0)

The bios device addresses are _completely_ different that the linux device
numbers. The bios device addresses exist before the kernel has been loaded
into memory and any of the md code _could_ even run. The bios device
addresses are a function of the bios supplied disk reading and writing calls
used by lilo.

lilo will not be able to read anything off of the md device. That's not what
I'm trying to do. I'm just setting up lilo so that it can read off of either
disk and will be able to boot if either disk fails.

Trust me: I've really tested this.. I have tried killing power to each drive
while the system was running, then rebooting with power still removed to
that drive. The system has come up and worked just fine.

> looks like you're not running / off a raid disk.

Actually I am running off a raid disk. That part is misleading and I'm sorry
for not catching it. Inside of my initial ram disk I load my scsi driver
module and make the call to "raidstart", then write out to the file
/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev to set the root device to be /dev/md0.

The "boot=nnn" line in my lilo.conf is being over-rid later in the boot
process and is really not needed.

Here is the line in my initial ram disk linuxrc file:

-----
echo 0x900 >/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
-----

After this line, when the initial ram disk linuxrc file exists, the system
does mount the filesystem on /dev/md0 as root and proceeds along with
bootup.

The documentation on the initial ram disk the real-root-dev file is at:
     /usr/src/linux/Documentation/initrd.txt

> Only solution I found was putting all the stuff needed by lilo into each
of
> the kernel partitions and running lilo chrooted to these partitions. The
> problem I have with this setup is that I can't make kernel images from
both
> partitions visible in each of my lilo configs.

Just use two different lilo.conf files for each disk and don't run them
chrooted. This way each lilo installation can see both of the disks. This is
the way I do it and it works fine.

I think the main use of the chroot feature in lilo is to install on a floppy
that you have mounted at /dev/floppy. It's really just the thing you need
for that job.

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services