no raid level will give you access to all your disk space AND give you
redundancy at the same time.

raid1,4, and 5 all give redundancy, at the loss of some disk space. these
three levels also need the partitions to be close to the same size,
otherwise the extra space is wasted.

what is most important? redundancy, or size?  how about this?

make a raid0 array with your two smaller parts. the size will me close to
your big one, so make /dev/md0 and /dev/sdaX (the big one) into /dev/md1
with raid1.

i think this will work. any experience out there? i did this long ago with
the .40 raid tools i think....

al