On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 07:28:01PM +0100, Dietmar Stein wrote:
[...]
>We - better I - use SuSE-Linux 6.0 which contains the (SuSE-)patched kernel
>2.0.36 on a SMP-system. The technical data is:
>a pair of PII-400, Asus P2B-DS mainboard, 512 MByte of RAM, three Adaptec
>SCSI-controllers (yeah, I know, what you are thinking) and
>a lot of disks (IBM-type UW).
[...]
> > > At work we use oracle8-database on linux. While benchmarking
> > > i/o-performance with stripes (raid 0) and single harddisk, we used to copy
> > > the database-files from the stripes to the single harddisks several times.
> > > Once I copied the SAME files from the one stripe  to a single harddisk and
> > > so I would do with the files from another stripe, but it won't work!!!
> > > The database was always shut down (really!!!) so that the files were also
> > > closed up. All I got was something like "Free blocks count...". I tried it
> > > several times using tar and dump but anything works (messages: "I/O
> > > error...).
> > > Does anybody got similar problems?

I have the same problem here:
Mar 10 10:43:21 shaun kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 08:e1):
ext2_new_block: Free blocks count corrupted for block group 954

I have it when decompressing "large" files (100 to 500 kB) with bunzip2.
The bug is easily reproductible.
I have the bug on a single 9Go U2 disk with a single Ext2 partition on
it.

I wanted to use raid0 over 15 disks but have problems with just one disk.

I use three Adaptec 2940U2 cards. I am now suspecting the SCSI
driver/card.

configuration:
Linux 2.2.3 SMP, 2 Pentium II Xeon 450 Mhz, Iwill motherboard
1 GByte RAM
3 Adaptec 2940U2
15 SEAGATE ST39102LW (Ultra2) disks

I also send the mail to the AIC7xxx mailinglist because in my case it is
not a raid problem but maybe an Adaptec SCSI card/driver problem.

--
Ludovic Rousseau
[EMAIL PROTECTED]