Hi everyone, let me introduce myself.  My name is John Sinnott and I am a
system/network/database administrator.  The boxes at the company where I
work have been primarily NT, but we are starting to phase in some Linux
boxes.  My experience with Linux is somewhat limited.

I have just finished setting up a Compaq ProLiant 1850R with two hot-plug
4.3GB drives with Linux.  I setup software RAID-1 for the following
partitions: /tmp, /var, /usr, /home, /opt  I also created two swap
partitions, one on each drive.  Finally, I created the / partition on
/dev/sda and another equally sized partition on /dev/sdb.  Since (as I
understand it) I cannot as yet have RAID-1 across the / partition, I was
planning on doing a cold copy of /dev/sda1 (/) to /dev/sdb1 so that I could
at least be up and running again quickly if /dev/sda did fail.

So my only problem has been how to copy all the device files from /dev from
the / partition to its cold-copy?  cp fails, and there are too many devices
for me to do a mknod on each.  I thought about recursively doing an ls on
the /dev directory and parsing that with PERL or something to
programmatically call mknod, but I figured there must be a simpler way.  Any
ideas?

Thanks
John