This is the command that works for me to copy an entire
disk.

    tar cflps - / | (cd /mnt/tmp; tar xfps -)
                        ^^^^^^^^
                 mount dir of your new raid disk

It squawks about a leading /, but it works.  I haven't even
looked it up to see what the man page says about the options.

BTW, does anyone have a suggested test suite for raid 5 with
three drives (on linux 2.2.3)?  I'd like to fail a disk and
actually corrupt it if possible.  Then go through the motions
of reboot/restore.  Its sort of like making backup tapes and
never trying to read them back in.  It could be a sad day when
you really really need the data restored.

We plan on having a written procedure to restore, when something
does happen in a couple of years, we will remember what to do.

Stephen

On 19 Mar 1999, anoah wrote:

> you are wrong about not being able to mirror / you need the latest alpha raid
> patches for this. as well as the latest raid tools from your local
> ftp.XX.kernel.org mirror.
>
> see the archives of this list, and esp the documentation that comes in the
> latest raid 19990309 patches.
>
> are you familiar with the program \'dd\'?
>
> i use dd to copy the raw partitions ie /dev/sda1 to /dev/sdb1 on a couple older
> boxes.
>
> allan
>
> ClassiFIND - John Sinnott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > Hi everyone, let me introduce myself.  My name is John Sinnott and I am a
> > system/network/database administrator.  The boxes at the company where I
> > work have been primarily NT, but we are starting to phase in some Linux
> > boxes.  My experience with Linux is somewhat limited.
> >
> > I have just finished setting up a Compaq ProLiant 1850R with two hot-plug
> > 4.3GB drives with Linux.  I setup software RAID-1 for the following
> > partitions: /tmp, /var, /usr, /home, /opt  I also created two swap
> > partitions, one on each drive.  Finally, I created the / partition on
> > /dev/sda and another equally sized partition on /dev/sdb.  Since (as I
> > understand it) I cannot as yet have RAID-1 across the / partition, I was
> > planning on doing a cold copy of /dev/sda1 (/) to /dev/sdb1 so that I could
> > at least be up and running again quickly if /dev/sda did fail.
> >
> > So my only problem has been how to copy all the device files from /dev from
> > the / partition to its cold-copy?  cp fails, and there are too many devices
> > for me to do a mknod on each.  I thought about recursively doing an ls on
> > the /dev directory and parsing that with PERL or something to
> > programmatically call mknod, but I figured there must be a simpler way.  Any
> > ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> > John
> >

> --

Stephen Denny                                 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hex.Net Superhighway                             http://www.hex.net