i get about 22-24MB/s across 3 IBM UW drives according to bonnie.
(reading and writing), and over 200 seeks/sec.

64MB ram.
1x 9.1GB IBM DGHS09U uw
2x 4.3GB DDRS uw
Buslogic BT-958.

K6 233MHz.
TMC TI5VG+ board (via mvp3, 1MB cache).

regards,

Paul Jakma.

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

  Hi all !

  I promised to show off RAID on a friend's box.   Ok, so we set up
  2.2.3 with corrosponding patches on his box with the following
  hardware:
  2 x IBM UltraStar 9ES 4.5 GB U2W
      Adaptec 2940 UW
      AMD K6 - 200 MHz
      64 MB RAM

  Each disk gives us around 11 MB/s using hdparm -t /dev/sd[ab]

  If we run  hdparm -t /dev/sda & hdparm -t /dev/sdb,  (two hdparm's
  concurrently) we get roughly 8.5 MB/s from each disk,  a total of
  17 MB/s.

  This is the same number which I've seen on my own machine (dual PPro,
  same controller, same disks), when running RAID-0.  All as we would
  have expected.

  However, when we set up /dev/md0,  a RAID-0 device between the two
  disks, (in a configuration similar to what I've run myself),  we get
  around 10 MB/s from the md0 device.     --   Less that we can get
  from one single disk.

  I guess it can't be the SCSI configuration/driver/bus/termination/etc.
  because when we run two concurrent hdparm's on the disks, we get excellent
  performance.

  Also, I guess that it can't be the RAID configuration, because we tried
  different chunk-sizes,  and I read the HOWTO    ;)

  And finally, I guess it can't be the RAID drivers, because they have no
  K6 specific code (from what I could see).

  This boils down to;  there is nothing wrong, but it still doesn't work
  as we would have expected it to.

  Does anyone have a clue about what could be going on ??     The main
  difference between my own box which ran a similar configuration for long
  time seems to be that this box is a K6.    Anyone running raid0 on similar
  configurations with a K6 CPU ?

  Thanks,

--
Paul Jakma      [EMAIL PROTECTED]