have seen what you describe several times, if i have the identical pair of HDs
as master on each of my ide channels. they are set the same in bios, linux
says they are the same at bootup, but fdisk does not. i upgrade bios, this
help one machine, but not most.

i now give the kernel boot time args;

linux hda=x,y,z hdc=x,y,z

see the large disk howto for this (or perhaps it was boot-args howto)

then it works fine, fdisk see the same as everyone else.

allan

--
test