On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Fabio Belletti wrote:

> we have several installation problems with Linux RedHat 5.2 + AMI driver
> (boot and supp downloaded disks) with our Dual Pentium II server with
> AMI MegaRaid controller!
>
> Our 'MADRONA' system is equipped with MB 440LX, dual 300 Mhz Pentium II,
> AMI Megaraid Controller, NCR 53C8xx PCI, 4 Fujitsu Hard Disk configured
> in 1 logical volume Raid 5 (3 on line + 1 hot spare) and works with
> Unixware 2.1.3 .
>
> During the Linux installation process the system crashes when it tries
> to initialize the controller or more, in 3 and more different ways !

American Megatrends officially supports this driver, so you might want to
contact their technical support ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  For what it's worth,
the RH 5.2 boot and supplement images are on their ftp site at
ftp://ftp.megatrends.com/MegaRaid/Drivers/linux/.  I presume that these
are the same as those provided by RedHat, but you might try them.

Others have reported success with this driver under RH 5.1.  There might
be a SMP issue here, or perhaps a driver issue if the controller is a new
model with compatibility issues.

I'm sure AMI would be interested in your problem report.  If their tech
support for Linux isn't up to speed yet, I have the email address for the
MegaRAID driver developer.

Geof

DISCLAIMER:  The comments above are my own and may not represent the views
             of my employer.
:     Geoffrey P. Goodrum       :         US Department of Commerce         :
:       +1-301-457-5100         : NOAA/NESDIS National Climatic Data Center :
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:         Satellite Services Branch         :