Hi,

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
        > I am now studying the RAID implementation. For starters I attached some
> discarded sun disks (6x200MB QUANTUM  Model: PD210S   SUN0207 Rev: 492S)
> and set to measure the results. the disks seem to be slow on their own
> (hdparm says 1.36 MB/sec) and I expected some speedup when striped
> (raid0). I got 2.8 MB/sec, just over twice the speed. What gives? I use an
> ASUS SC200 SCSI controller, Narrow SCSI, on 2.1.132 with the latest
> raid patch and tools.

You mention that you are trying to achieve a read speed boost from
"striping", but then mentioned that you are running raid0. Your problem here
might be that raid0 is not striping, but rather mirroring. It is true that
mkraid requires a chunk-size for raid0, but this is not used for any
striping. That chunk-size is there just to pacify the internal mechanics of
the driver. I recommend specifying 128k.

For a description of the different raid levels, see:
     http://linas.org/linux/Software-RAID/Software-RAID-2.html

But ignore that raid-HOWTO when it talks about the specifics of the drivers,
because it was written for a completely different earlier version.

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services