At 18:14 29.01.99 +0100, you wrote:
>thanks, I thought about this option too:
>
>but assume the worst of the worst:
>
>LILO starts on the first disk, and then tries to read the kernel image from
>the harddisk, but at this point the BIOS encounters a buggy sector and can
not >complete the loading of the kernel and halts.

>Ok its very unlikely but it can happen
>
>In this case the bootfloppy has the advantage that if it is corrupt you can
>quickly replace it with a new.

This is why you'd have entries for all the disks in the lilo config files.
You'd use lablel like Linux_d1, Linux_d2 ... or whatever. If loading the
image from the first disk fails, you just have to enter the label of
another kernel at the lilo prompt.

>Plus there is another additional work when a disk fails,using your solution:
>
>you have to set up the /bootn dir and rerun lilo.

Since you must repartition and raidhotadd the new disk anyway I don't
consider this to be much of a problem.

>i plan to install software-RAID Linux PCs, where the user is a joe-average
>user, so I think for my purposes I think I will consider the boot-floppy
option.

I don't particularely like booting off floppy for several reasons:

* security problems - by booting with some sort of rescue disk you can get
around any security on the system.

* I've had more problems with dust-clogged or otherwise inoperative floppy
disks than with failing harddisks - admittedly, this may not be typical.

* additional single point of failure. If the floppy drive or controller
breaks, you're down till you get a replacement.

Bye, Martin
 Martin Bene               vox: +43-664-3251047
 simon media               fax: +43-316-813824-6
 Andreas-Hofer-Platz 9     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 8010 Graz, Austria
finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key