How about booting off the network, from another system already deemed
reliable. Most network cards just need a bootrom to be plugged in, I think
some of the intel motherboards with integrated eepro are boot-capable.

I suppose you could have a network of raid5 machines all set up this way,
and prepared to boot off each other? You just need to make sure at least
one of them always stays running :)