On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, steve rader wrote:
> Some eec person once told me that disconnecting live molex
> (power) scsi connectors can kill a disk drive.  And I'm also
> not confortable futzing with scsi connectors on live busses.
>
> I assume the perferred method is to put the disk-to-kill
> on a external power supply with a power switch.
>
> Is there a safe way without an external power supply?

Most removable removeable disk sliders have a key switch that physically
unlocks the drive (so that it can be removed) and cuts power to the drive.

And the good ones (the real hot-swap ones) also do some bus buffering or
something so that you won't disrupt bus activity as you yank or insert the
drive.

-Andy

Global Auctions
http://www.globalauctions.com