steve rader wrote:

> Some eec person once told me that disconnecting live molex
> (power) scsi connectors can kill a disk drive.  And I'm also
> not confortable futzing with scsi connectors on live busses.
>
> I assume the perferred method is to put the disk-to-kill
> on a external power supply with a power switch.
>
> Is there a safe way without an external power supply?

Maybe you could rig a switch in a drive power cable to kill the 12volt
line. Or you could make a power cable extention with a switch in it.
Then you could remove it once done testing.

Killing the 12volt line will effectively break the drive. It would be
interesting to see how various drives handle their error reporting.

I have a power splitter cable, I think I'll put a switch in it and see
what happens.

<>< Lance.