On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:

> no, the redhat boot disk is an msdos floppy with a special image
> loader 'syslinux' and some other bits and bobs.

Okay, but it is mountable.  So 'syslinux' will allow you to throw a
replacement vmlinuz on it and have it boot without the hassles of getting
LILO to write boot sector info?

> i havn't yet been able to compile a 2.2 kernel small enough to fit.. :(

Compile only what you really need to get going.  Maybe a NIC driver as a
*module*, the DAC and any other SCSI stuff built into the SCSI, get rid of
all the other crap you don't need, and I'll bet you can make it fit.  :-)

I'd actually like to see this working, 'cause it's a section sorely needed
in my "Linux Administration Made Easy" document.  :-(

--------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------
Steve Frampton  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://qlink.queensu.ca/~3srf