On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:26:36 +0100, "Jim Ford"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > I am running out of space on my root device and am thinking of adding
> > another scsi disk using Raid - linear or 0 (whichever is the
> > easiest!). Is software Raid as fearsome as all the docs I read
> > suggest? Ideally, I'd like to be able to hitch the disk up, add a
>
> At the same time, it's harder --- currently there is no way to take an
> existing filesystem and simply extend it non-destructively using raid.
> You will definitely have to find somewhere else to put the data while
> you build the raid partitions.

Not entirely true. Leave the original data where it is. Build a degraded
raid array on the new disk(s) and copy the data over from the old disk.
Reconfigure to use the new degraded raid array, then hot add the old disk
to the array. The kernel will reconstruct the data on an bring the raid
up to snuff. This is how I converted a 2 disk raid 1 to a 3 disk raid 5.
No reason why I wouldn't work from a standard partition, doesn't matter
where the source data comes from or how the degraded array is initially
constructed.

Michael