Seth Vidal wrote:

> I've mostly been a lurker but recent changes in my company have peaked my
> interest in the performance of sw vs hw raid.
>
> Does anyone have some statistics online of sw raid (1,5) vs hw raid
> (1,5) on a linux system?

We have a DPT midrange SmartRAID-V and we're going to do testing on two
7 x 17.5 GB RAID 5 arrays, one software, one hardware. We'll post the
results as soon as they're available. (Testing will happen on a dual PII
350 w/ 256 MB RAM & a cheezy IDE disk for /, running 2.2.6 (or later).)

What kind of tests would people like to see run? The main test I'm
going for is simply stability under load on bigish file systems &
biggish file operations.

 -- Josh Fishman
    NYU / RLab