Hm, this seems to be a little summary of the mails and discussions who
had taken part of the list the last weeks.
Well, the corruption of data without being noticed by the parity
function is one secret; the other one is why this happened...
The comment: "99%..." is garbage, because it sounds like my colleague;
he had bad experiences years ago and since that time all PC stuff is
garbage...
By the way, HP uses Adaptec 2940-UW controllers on their machines sold
under the alias "k-machines" - pretty good PC stuff. Yes, I am working
on HP machines, but they are rather expensive and HP also uses Intel
processors, Adaptec controllers (as I said) and for example Seagate
disks; of course the disks are wearing the HP logo for which they are
twice times more expensive than normally...
I prefer "PC garbage" because it provides more flexibilty and is less
expensive; for sure, some applications should run on "professional"
servers, but what about the large number of Linux-(PC)Servers serving
internet data?
At last I want to thank those people who tried to solve "my" problem
(corrupted data, timeouts and so on); I, *YOU* "solved" it (the machine
is running fine now for about 4 or 5 days - knocking on wood) and the
database problem (corrupted tablespaces at 8k blocking size) belongs to
the Oracle8 software.

Thank you again for your help, Dietmar

--
"Don't fear the Gates" (a little like Blue Oyster Cult)

Dietmar Stein, Systemadministrator UNIX/Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]