On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Andy Poling wrote:

> Because you're _supposed_ to quiet the SCSI bus while you'ure swapping your
> disk to prevent errors in active requests when you're removing or inserting
> a device into the bus.

I don't see why this couldn't be a function of the removeable drive
bracket. I can see how hotswapping a drive attached directly to a SCSI bus
can cause enough electrical "trash" on the bus to corrupt any
commands/data that happen to be going through it at the time the
connection is made.

If you've got a drive bracket that's designed for it and has the required
circuitry to make it safe (ie, so that the "trash" doesn't make it onto
the bus when you insert or remove a drive), then I don't see what the
problem is.

Brian