I figure that someone on this list might be able to save me some time in
trial/error.

I'm looking to create a small (3-disk) raid-5 array.  Each disk will
probably
be a 9 or 18gb drive.  This is for a small news/messaging server.  I'm
looking
for a cost/performance solution that will give me high random I/O.

I know that cheetahs are supposed to be very fast, I've only had experience
with older barracuda (ST15150W's) drives though in this type of situation.
With my old drives under Bonnie I get around 175 random seeks/sec.  In
order to be usable I am looking to reach 250-300 random seeks/sec.  Does
anyone
have any  figures on drives that might be able to do this?  If I can avoid
paying
through the nose for the cheetahs, and instead of the newer barracuda's can
do this it would save several hundred bucks.

Steve
Steve Costaras      Unix Systems Administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Celestial Haven
Ph: (630) 852-9765  FAX: (630) 852-9263
-
If you don't understand, read the RFC's. If
you do, re-write them. HTTP://3502543125/rfcs