> During the init scripts, it does try to start and mount the RAID, but fails.

My guess is that you have raid0 as a loadable module -- is that so ?
You can check using (on a machine with an active md) something like:
        % grep raid /proc/modules
        raid1                   6080   1 (autoclean)
        raid0                   1692   7 (autoclean)
        %

If this is the case, then you need to use an initrd.
[ if you already have an initrd, I assume you know how to "add" them ]

        mkinitrd -v --with raid0 /boot/initrd 2.3.1-1

[ where "2.3.1-1" is the directory you have in /lib/modules ]
and then add a line "initrd = /boot/initrd" to your lilo.conf
[ I actually have initrd as a symb link to i-2.3.1-1devfs-raid ]
or add "initrd= (hd0,0)/boot/initrd" to grub's menu.lst