Hi

You always got two IDE controllers which are separated from each other
(even not very old boards); the IDE
controllers are "occupied" by the PCI bus system, which also controls
PCI slots and ISA bridge, also the
data flow from the controllers to the memory (DMA use).
As I said before (and I still think I am right in a way) the bandwidth
of the data flow between memory and
IDE controllers is limited by the speed of the PCI bridge and the IDE
controllers themselves.
So you always got a maximum of throughput, where can get above - SCSI
controllers show the same behaviour: if you got a 10MB/s controller you
will never get 15MB/s out of, if you got an UW (40MB/s) you will never
get 50MB/s out of it.

Greetings, Dietmar

--
"Wissen ist ein Transportproblem" W. Roesler
     http://home.t-online.de/home/dstein2203