On Sat, 29 May 1999, Dave Wreski wrote:

> I thought somoene might know how the performance of the software raid
> support is versus (the typical) hardware raid?
>
> Hmm.. Maybe there's even a generalization that can be made?

Search around a bit.  Everything I remember reading is that software
RAID-5 (in a beefy system...say dual PII-450 or similar) runs circles
around most hardware RAID-5 controllers.  Hardware RAID gives you things
like the ability to easily boot from a RAID device, and automated hot
spares and rebuilds.  As software RAID improves and gets easier to manage,
there may be little reason to go with hardware RAID.

----don't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis *[EMAIL PROTECTED]*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________