I am planning on building a small SCSI RAID array (using software RAID)
for my home Linux server.  Suppose I have 4 of the same drive (perhaps
4GB drives).  What happens in a year or two when one of the drives fails
and I am unable to find a matching replacement?  Sure, I could sub in a
9GB drive (or whatever is the 'common' size of the day), but this will
be wasteful as only 4GB of the drive will be used.  What do other people
do in this situation?  Even if I had a hotswap drive initially,
eventually, one drive will die and I'll need a replacement for it.  To
me, it seems expensive to replace all the drives in a couple of years
when one (or more) drives fails.

Mike.

Mike Frisch
Software Engineer
Hummingbird Communications Ltd.            North York, Ontario, Canada

           Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not my employer