> 7) now what? Is this where I have to copy (using a method described earlier)
> my /dev/sda[x]'s contents to the /dev/md[x]'s?

But /dev/sda[x]'s contents are no longer available because of the mkraid and
mke2fs you just performed on it.

I have just been helping someone else with a similar misconception about how
RAID-1 works. I think it probably needs an explicit statement in the HOWTO that
you cannot create a RAID-1 by simply copying the data on one partition to
another partition and then mkraiding them (or could you do that with
"persistent-superblock 0"?).

In a nutshell, in the normal run of events, you will have to have spare
partitions to install to in the first place, or use Martin Bene's patch to
create the arrays in degraded mode without involving the original partitions
initially.

Cheers,

Bruno Prior         [EMAIL PROTECTED]