I have a follow up question:

I have a Compaq server running Redhat 6.0, with hot-swapable root disks, that
I've set up to use a raid-1 root disk. (by kreating a new bootimage with the
raid-1 loadable module included).

Yesterday one of the two disks included in the raid-1 had some problems.
After a lot of attempts with copying the contents of the remaning disk to a
new one and other strange stuff,

I finally managed to copy the contents of the failed disk to a new and boot.

At this stage the raid driver complained about that the copy from the failed
disk was older, and attempted to rebuild it, but failed for some reason. This
was during the first phase of the boot process were Linux is running from a
memory file sytem. The booting continued with the defect copy of the raid
detatched. After trying out a lot of different things to get the second
partition attatced again, I found the raidhotadd command, which started the
rebuild again...

I suspect thst I could have done something like this:

1. Remove the failed disk.
2. Insert a new one
3. Boot with only one disk set up for raid usage.
4. Use fdisk to get the partition table right.
5. Maybe reboot to get linux to recognize the new partition
6. Use raidhotadd toadd the empty partition to the existing raid-1.

Or is there another (better) way to do this?

Best regards,

Jonas Lagerblad, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
VP Development, Spotfire AB
Phone (office): +46-31 704 1551    Mobile: +46-707 79 7337
Telefax:        +46-31 704 1501

PS. I'm sorry if this is seen multiple times, I'm having trouble with our
mail gateway...