Mike Frisch writes:
 > >  - duplicating a partition layout is much easier :)
 >
 > Does this mean it's possible to build a RAID1 configuration from a single
 > disk without having to reformat?

What I meant was, that I can read the partition table with
"disklabel", modify it a bit and write it onto the second disk. With
"fdisk" I have to partition it (AFAIK) by hand.

 > far, so good.  I still don't have it shutting down properly and
 > automatically being brought up at boot-time, which is still a little bit
 > of a pain.

??? Do you have the latest code? You *did* gave the partitions the
type "fd"...? Works fine for me (RedHat 5.2 + kernel 2.2.6) and with
RedHat 5.x the old stuff works nearly automagically as long as you
have /etc/raidtab.

Bye,
Jochen