On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Tom Rini wrote:

> > > udma66 is not useful over udma33.  however, both are supported;
> > > I suspect the promise works better.
> > both are not really supported
>
> Both (PIIX?, promise and HPT366) are supported in both 2.2.x and 2.3..
> For the latest (wise for udma/66) and for 2.2.x, you need the uniform IDE
> patch, which is in ftp.xx.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedriks (or
> so).
i lent a hpt366 from a friend
and tried things out (found the uniform ide patch)

but when trying to make a raid0 of 4 disks (2 on piix and 2 on hpt366)
the machine justs crashes when executing mke2fs on /dev/md0 (just after a
few seconds)

when i recompile a kernel with default no dma on, it goes ok, but i get
worse performance. (about 4mb/sec on /dev/md0 vs about 40mb/sec with dma
on)

So i suspect the PIIX conflicts some way with the HPT366

I want to buy tomorrow a extra controller card, but what is the best
choice ?

a promise or a hpt366 ?
and i think to buy 2 of them (so 2* promise or 2*hpt366)

so i get the best change of no conflicts and best performance

> > i can't find patches for 2.3.x for raid
> > and they are both supported in 2.3.12 and/or 2.3.13pre
>
> You don't wanna use 2.3.x anyways. :)
heh
i want to use the kernels that works best here ;-)