What is the rationale for running sw raid0 over hw raid0,
using a single hw raid controller?  I don't quite see why
it should be superior to the all-hw solution.
Now, if you have multiple hw raid controllers, or if you have
anemic controllers and want to do sw raid5 over hw raid0,
or something like that I can begin to understand.

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 08:37:31PM -0400, James Manning wrote:
> Dropping each of the 2 channels down to 4 drives started dropping
> the performance...barely.   I'm still getting 99.6% CPU util on s/w
> raid0 over 2 h/w raid0's scares me, but I'll try the HZ and NR_STRIPES
> settings later on.  I'm getting worried I'm not bottlenecking on anything
> scsi-related at all, and it's something else in the kernel *shrug*

I agree, something is wrong to produce 99% utilization in such a situation.

Jan Edler
NEC Research Institute