On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 12:55:10PM -0400, James Manning wrote:
> My bonnie results for raid5 getting done in hardware have been horrible.
> Admittedly, this is with a single card (until my shipment comes in)
> so it's 4 500MHz Xeon's using MMX vs. a single StrongARM 233 (no SIMD)
> in the XOR battle.  Due to MMX, KNI, etc.  I really don't expect h/w
> raid to do better unless the memory hierarchy bottlenecks, but the KNI
> scheme seems to help address that.

My hw raid results are just one controller.  You aren't measuring
throughput when the controller is busy doing background raid initialization,
are you?  That would hurt performance.

Unfortunately, at least with the DAC960 driver 2.2.1, there does not
seem to be any indication of background initialization in /proc/rd/c0/*,
so I have to look at the drive activity lights (and the performance)
to tell when initialization is complete.

> The s/w 0 over h/w 0 is more about trying to find and fix whatever is
> causing the high CPU util... using 99%+ of 4 Xeon's to get 40-50MB/sec
> is kinda silly, esp. given that a single one of them spec'd over 1GB/sec
> in the xor testing initially *shrug*.

It isn't reporting 99% of 4 Xeons, but 99% of one Xeon.
Bonnie just takes cpu/elapsed*100.

Still, it can't be right.

Jan Edler
NEC Research Institute