Greetings,

I'm running kernel 2.2.12pre8 with one raid1 device.  Autostarting is
not working for me--in fact starting the raid by hand isn't working
either.  This bit me hard today--can someone tell me what I did wrong?

I followed the instructions in the new RAID howto, here is my raidtab:

raiddev         /dev/md0
    raid-level      1
    nr-raid-disks       2
    nr-spare-disks      0
    chunk-size      4096
    persistent-superblock   0

    device          /dev/sdc2
    raid-disk       0

    device          /dev/sdd2
    raid-disk       1

I've also marked the constitutent partitions with type 0xFD.  When I do
a 'raidstart /dev/md0' I get:

(read) sdc2's sb offset: 8793024 [events: 3ade1754]
md: invalid raid superblock magic on sdc2
md: sdc2 has invalid sb, not importing!
could not import sdc2!
autostart sdc2 failed!
huh12?
/dev/md0: Invalid argument

Now I can get the RAID back with a 'mkraid --force /dev/md0' and all the
data is OK.

Other messages in my syslog seem to indicate the persistent superblocks
were not created when I created the array.

In the new RAID howto there is no indication of what the argument for
'persistent-superblock' should be for raid-1.  The manpage for raidtab
is confusing also.

If the array does not have persistent superblocks is there a way I can
create them without destroying the data?

--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham     | NCA Commission on Schools        |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]               | Arizona St. Univ., PO Box 873011,|