I stand corrected.  Most of the benchmarks I was referencing were for
dual 300MHz Intel SMP systems or better as dedicated fileservers.  I
presume there are numerous servers out there that are not lucky enough
to only have to serve NFS shares and/or are using non SMP boards with
older/slower CPUs.  If you want to offload the RAID processing from your
main CPU(s), hardware is definitely the way to go.  I simply have yet to
see a benchmark for, say, a 5-drive U2 10Krpm RAID-0 that gets anywhere
near the sustained rates with a RAID controller as opposed to
software-level with a good multi-channel SCSI interface.  Just my
half-nybble.
--
 Jeremy Stanley                  Trend CMHS
Network Engineer          http://www.trendcmhs.org

 The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily
represent those of Trend CMHS or Trend Foundation.

   "I program my homecomputer; beam myself into
          the future." --Kraftwerk, 1981

[clip]

> I have tried the DPT SmartRaid IV card (680X0 CPU, if memory serves)
> and it is a DOG performance wise. Using 4 18GB Barracudas (10k RPM) in
> RAID5 under Linux or NT I get about 3 MB/sec writes and 8 MB/sec
> reads.
> I have seen much better numbers from the Mylex 960 line and
> particularly the ExtremeRaid line.

[snip]