I am currently using a Mylex ExtremeRAID controller with good results.  If
you haven't been to this page, please check it out:

    http://www.dandelion.com/Linux/DAC960.html

And if you haven't read this FAQ, do so also:

    http://www.dandelion.com/Linux/README.DAC960

Here is an excerpt about remote commands to the Mylex adapter:

Configuration commands for controller N are available via the special file
/proc/rd/cN/user_command.  A human readable command can be written to this
special file to initiate a configuration operation, and the results of the
operation can then be read back from the special file in addition to being
logged to the system console.  The shell command sequence

  echo "<configuration-command>" > /proc/rd/c0/user_command
  cat /proc/rd/c0/user_command

is typically used to execute configuration commands.  The configuration
commands are:

This requires that you have the controller bios upgrades and the latest
driver/utilities.  Please read the FAQ if you haven't already.

Also, I know that at least with the ExtremeRAID, you can have each channel
at a different speed.  For instance, populating one chain with LVD and the
other chain with SE U2W drives, but why would you want to do that?
Currently, there is little difference between the price of LVD drives and
SE drives (at least where I live, in San Jose, CA, USA).  Also, I feel the
AcceleRAID 200 or 250 is a good deals (I think around $550 US) when you
put it together with a motherboard that has an on-board LVD U2W SCSI, such
as the Super Micro series boards.  Add 8 9 gig or 18 gig LVD drives and
throw them in a rack mountable case, and you have a pretty awesome
database server for under $10,000 IMHO.  What more can you ask for?
(besides decent hot swapable LVD enclosures for under $350/each, but that
is another story alltogether.)

-Theron