I've been using the 428 on a Dell 4200.  2x300MHz PII, stock RH
2.2.5-15smp, driver from megatrends site, 2xACEnic GbE, no frills NFS
server configuration, 5x9MB RAID 5, board in a primary PCI slot with no
shared interrupts.

~18 MB/s on larger multi-stream, sequential i/o tests (dd & bonnie
cocktail) that put 100% load on both CPU's and the array for 3.5 hours
per run.  Zero problems with os or hardware.