At 09:20 AM 10/3/99 +1000, Raid wrote:
>Thanks for your reply David.
>
>I have an NT4 Server that I would like to replace with a Red Hat server. I
>have nearly everything sorted except software RAID. The NT box has two 17Gb
>software-mirrored IDE HDs and I would like to use a similiar system with
>Red Hat, just for security if one fails. I have read the Software-RAID
>HOWTO at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Software-RAID.html but while it
>is very informative regarding the various technical issues, I can't find
>anywhere where it actually tells you how to implement the system. It talks
>about "mdadd" and just seems to magically assume that you know what they
>are talking about. I cannot find "mdadd" on my system and so I assume that
>it has not been installed. Can anyone shed any light on this?

The doc's aren't too up to date...
You need to download the latest raidtools (I think RH 6 comes with 0.90-2,
0.90-3 is the latest and available from their site as an RPM).  You also
need the latest Kernel patch for RAID...  The newest RAID uses mkraid,
raidstart, raidstop, raidhotremove, raidhotadd and raidsetfaulty.
I believe the latest raid kernel patches are at ftp.us.kernel.org under
linux/daemons/alpha (someone jump in here if i'm wrong!)

            David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Packet: N5XMT@KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA   T.A.P.R. Member #7068
    Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!