On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Rick H. Wesson wrote:
[some snippage]
> when i run mkraid /dev/md0 I get the following:
>
> disk 0: /dev/sde1, 4449279kB, raid superblock at 4449152kB
> disk 1: /dev/sdf1, 4449279kB, raid superblock at 4449152kB
> mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.
>
> /proc/mdstat reports
> Personalities : [2 raid0]
> read_ahead not set
> md0 : inactive
> md1 : inactive
> md2 : inactive
> md3 : inactive
>
> and there is not anything left in /var/log/messages about any scssi or
> raid things.

ditto.  i got this same result under, um, 2.2.5 i think, and when i backed
off my linux installation to RH5.2 instead of RH6.0, suddenly,
everything's fine.

since i like pain, i'm in the midst of trying to get Mandrake 6.1 on the
box, and make the raid work again.  hah.  it is to laugh.

# raidstart /dev/md0
/dev/md0: Invalid argument
# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [1 linear] [2 raid0] [3 raid1] [4 raid5]
read_ahead not set
md0 : inactive
md1 : inactive
md2 : inactive
md3 : inactive
#

this is the same raidtab that worked yummy under RH5.2 dist.
i already ran a mkraid --upgrade, that went fine, so it says.  when later,
i decided i could ressurect the RAID from tape, and ran mkraid to make a
new raid, i get the same results rick pasted above and the same lack of
any kind of detail about it.

> any help would be much appreciated!

what he said.

> thanks,

yes, thanks.

> -rick

---
Andan             "The killings will continue, 'til my morale improves."