As brian said you have to use echo "scsi add-single-disk a b c
d">/proc/scsi/scsi to insert
the new disque. Then I used scsi-start coming in the rpm scsi-idle to spin
up the disk.
(You don't need to patch the kernel with the scsi-idle stuff to have it work)

I've never tried the solution described by Marc.

(ftp.u.washington.edu/pub/user-supported/xyzzy/scsi-idle-2.2.10-1.i386.rpm)
I also saw some tar of this around...

 >Thus a simple
 >dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
 >
 >would revive the hard disk.
 >
 >in the mean time, you can send, with `sg' that command. Or
 >et the disk jumper.

What is this 'sg' command by the way ?