On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Kenneth Cornetet wrote:

> Hardware RAID does not necessarily preclude speed. I put a Mylex extremeraid
> 1164 (32MB cache, 2 channels) in a dual 450MHz P3 connected to 4 18GB 10K
> RPM seagate wide low voltage differential SCSI disks in a raid 5 config and
> got about 22 MB/sec reads and writes as reported by bonnie.

Were you really getting 22MB/s writes (just as fast as reads)?  Was the
bonnie test size at least 2x physical memory?  Those are encouraging
numbers.  I'm looking at building a big file server using more drives and
an extremeraid.  I was worried about write performance and wondering if
I'd have to do RAID10 rather than RAID5.

 Jon Lewis *[EMAIL PROTECTED]*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________