[ Tuesday, October 26, 1999 ] Jakob Østergaard wrote:
> >     Another solution is that raidtools, when old md support is
> > detected, issue a clear-like-water message like:
> [snip]
>
> While the newbies should be able to find the docs easily, we don't want
> experienced users having to scroll thru four screens of pointers to docs
> etc. before they can do what they know well how to do.

I don't see how this would be a problem, since the suggested case is a
newer raidtools and older md support (newbie forgot to patch his kernel)

Do experienced users honestly use raidtools 0.9 and md support < 0.5?
I didn't think that was even possible.  If it is impossible, then the
clarification message just helps explain the "/dev/md0: Aborted" fatal
error they're going to get anyway :)

Perhaps even some #ifdef's on LINUX_KERNEL_VERSION to say "Patch your
kernel from kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/raid/alpha" for 2.2.x or "Sorry,
kernel 2.3 currently has no support for newer raid" for 2.3.x (hopefully
2.3.x < 2.3.24? :)

Did I miss something?

James
--
Miscellaneous Engineer --- IBM Netfinity Performance Development