>Hacking is easy........Doing it correct is pain.

Surely agreed.

I needed this hack because I used an unsupported pre kernel, and searched for a quick
and dirty way to somehow get the promise66 hardware up.
Assuming that the promise66 controller is just a promise33 with additional features.
I didn´t take into account that the promise bios will configure UDMA66 if it finds
appropriate drives and cables. This may be a problem.

Nevertheless, the resulting configuration was extensively stresstested and seems to
work (with IBM 37GB drives, 80c cables).
Considering the potential risks I would advise too to instead use a release kernel and
the appropriate UnifiedIDE patch.
(I probably will switch to 2.2.14+Unified IDE later)

>For the record, us how you managed to signal the card to invoke ATA-66?

The master drives (IBM 37GB) come up configured with pio mode after boot (one promise
slave device strangely comes up as "hdf:DMA", but I don´t use the slaves anyways).
I use
hdparm -d1 -X66 -W1 /dev/hdX
I believe this switches on UDMA33 ("reserved mode 2").
I use 80c cables (theoretically not needed).

--
the online community service for gamers & friends -  http://www.rivalnet.com
* unterstützt über 50 PC-Spiele im Multiplayer-Modus