On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Robert wrote:

> This is not really the correct list for this post, but I feel there are
> some very knowledgable people on this list, I figure that someone here may
> very well be qualified or know of someone else who is......Feel free to
> forward this to someone else if the latter is the case.
>
> I am looking for a consultant with Linux Networking experience,
> specifically ip experience at the driver level.  The task is to port the
> linux ip stack to a z80 based machine.  The z80 machine is being
> programmed in C using a cross compiler called UNIWARE.  The z80 operating
> system is proprietary, and was developed in house by my company.  We have,
> therefore, complete rights and source to it.

        Certainly, but as you have already admitted, your IP stack will be
a derivative of the Linux IP stack (which is GPL'd), and therefore any
derivative of a GPL'd package must release its source.

        If this wasn't the case, what is to stop Microsoft from taking the
Linux source, 'porting' it to those RISC palmtops (currently running
Windows CE) and making it closed source?

        Sincerely

        Chris Price