Hi all,

Well I'm a new convert to software RAID on Linux.  The system I'm
presently using is a P-150 with Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller, single SCSI
hard disk which is the boot drive, and a new pair of Western Digital
Caviar 20.5 GB IDE drives (hda and hdc) acting as software RAID.  This is
all on RedHat 6.0.

I created my RAID system OK, after setting the system BIOS to put both
disks in 'normal' mode, which caused both disks to report 16-63-39761 as
the number of heads-sectors-cylinders.  As a comment:  the docs should
probably emphasize the importance of shutting down the RAID by hand if
your system doesn't do it automatically, and RH 6.0 doesn't.

My problems:  first of all, I'm open to suggestions on how to boot this
system now.  I tried a suggest LILO setup:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-22
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sda7
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-22.img
        read-only

to write the boot record to /dev/hda, but LILO still stops after printing
LI.  The RedHat boot floppy I created will still boot the system and now
I'm just leaving it in the drive.

The second problem is more serious:  the RAID data are slightly corrupt
(no proper shutdown before a system reboot), and fsck complains as
follows:

  e2fsck 1.14, 9-Jan-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
  The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 40078944 blocks
  The physical size of the device is 40078720 blocks
  Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
  Abort<y>? yes

These numbers don't make much sense to me, since fdisk says the disk
partitions each have 20039481 blocks in them for a total of 40078962
blocks, and the physical size of each disk is 20039544 blocks (40079708
for two). None of these values match up.  Did I do something
un-recoverable?  Can I just go ahead and run fsck anyway?  Why the
discrepancies anyway?

Thanks in advance.
--
Stephen Walton, Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]