Hello all!

I was not very satisfied with raid1 read performance,
so i tried to make things better.

The result is small patch against 2.2.13ac kernel. (attachment)
You can also find it at: http://www.iki.fi/miku/raid1

In my hardware it performs better against the stock raid code.
But YMMV. I have 166Mhz Pentium with AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI with 2
WDE9180 ULTRA2 drives.

I do not have chance to test it in any other hardware
setup so i decided to present it to public, here in linux-raid.
It works for me so chances are it might work for someone else also.

Here is some figures i found out:

Kernel    Threads       MBytesread/sec          Seeks/sec
original        1       16.1                    167.2
patched         1       16.4                    192.5
original        2       10.2                    202.7
patched         2       21.9                    284.0
original        10      10.1                    145.6
patched         10      19.2                    254.2

where:
original = 2.2.13 with ac patch set attached
patched = original + raid1_read_balance patch attached

---- cli clip --

These figures are from tiotest program, which spawns n thread
each with own file, then sequentially reads thru that file and
performs randoms seeks inside that file. You can find this
program at here: www.iki.fi/miku/tiotest

Because both the patch and test benchmark is written by me,
be sceptical...very sceptical :)

WARNING: Do NOT go and apply this patch do your production
machines. Unless you are exceptionally brave (or stupid :)

Flames, comments, improvemnts and different
varying benchmarks are all greatly appreciated!

-- Mika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

raid1-readbalance-patch2.gz