On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Dong Hu wrote:

> We need about 200G hard disk space for software a development
> environment. I am considering of using linux-raid5 configuration.
> We will use nfs to share the disk on 100 Ethernet Lan.
>
> My concern is, how stable an reliable is linux NFS and raid5?
> Any experience of using this in a production environment?
> The speed is not so critical.

I've had very little trouble with the old user-space NFS code, but
recently I setup a Red Hat 6.1 system using knfsd and have been having
some trouble in a setup where the 6.1 box is the server and several older
(2.0.x kernel) Linux systems are using autofs to mount it.

The server has been logging lots of:

RPC: rpcauth_gc_credcache looping!
RPC: rpcauth_gc_credcache looping!
RPC: rpcauth_gc_credcache looping!

and at least once (it's only been in service a few days) something screwy
happened with the rpc progs and portmap.  Basically, all the rpc progs
became unregistered with portmap, and autofs mounts were failing.  I'm not
sure yet if autofs mounting/umounting frequently was the cause of the
problem, but as a workaround, I've configured the autofs clients to not
have a timeout (so they won't umount the server after some inactivity
period).

This is kind of off-topic for linux-raid, so to get back on-topic, the
server mentioned above is using a Mylex Acceleraid 200, which seems to be
working perfectly doing RAID1.

 Jon Lewis *[EMAIL PROTECTED]*|  Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator        |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net                |  to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________