On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Johan Ekenberg wrote:
> As I see it, either the HOWTO is wrong, Mr Berra is wrong, or I'm not really
> understanding what the HOWTO is saying. In the first case it would be good
> to correct/expand the HOWTO, in the other cases I would be very happy for a
> clarification from Mr. Ostergaard or any other authority on RAID. I'm
> currently using a swapfile on a RAID-5 device since I assumed this would
> offer the best protection from a disk crash.

Putting your swap on a RAID'd partition _should_ theoretically provide the
best protection, but unfortunately, the way that software RAID handles
re-synching (after loss of a disk, or simply after an unclean shutdown), it
is not safe.  You could consider this a bug or a design fault, but either
way it rules out swapping on software RAID.

This problem really only came to light recently.  Therefore the FAQ was
written without knowledge of the problem...

-Andy