Part of the problem you may be seeing is SCSI itself.
You pull an active SCSI data cable on a non-hot swappable controller/drive
and the controller will hang the SCSI and CPU busses the next time it
accesses the controller.

At 03:42 PM 1/1/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>the linux kernel stripes swap writes across multiple swap partitions of the
>same priority. striping (effectively raid0) provides NO reliability in case of
>disk failure. this is what the original poster was asking about.
>
>to aswer the original question, i have twice tried to make swap on raid1,
>which can be sucessfully done. the system swaps to the raid just fine.
>
>HOWEVER- i pull the scsi data cable or power cable and the system will hang
>cold on the next swap write.
>
>i am using tekram dc390f (ncr53c875) scsi controller, and older 9gig
>full-height seagate barracudas.
>
>i have not had a chance to wrap my mind around the problem in question, and
>the linux buff/cache code has a bit of a learning curve, but from practical
>experience, i do not trust swap on raid 1, and wont use it. esp. since it
>seems to have little to do with re-construction, and more to do with the death
>of a disk, the very thing we want to prevent...

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Packet: N5XMT@KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!