Hi,
thanks for your help

I ordered to make a try a
P III 450/384RAM/SCSI 2940U2W with 2x Ultrastar ES9
in raid-1 running on redhat6.1
hope to get it in 4 days and make the practice :)

> You should take measures that you WILL notice the first disk failure by
> monitoring /proc/mdstat - or you will maybe think all is ok until the
> second disk fails (and you will lose all data in that case)

okey. it is the only soft giving the informations about the stats.
how can I know if a HD is failed (it is not arrived every day but ... ;) )

in RAID-1 I suppose that if I put off a HD, the data will be saved on the
hd which is connected. I did not understand the process to do when I replug
the new one.

>  > what  happen  when  I replug the HD again in the server ?
>
> First you should shut down and power off your system, before plugging
> something.

there is no way just to plug the new HD and let's md module
econstructs the HD ?

> Then reconstruction will begin and after some time, system will be in
> redundant state again with all drives up.

can it be done with all the services running (web/news etc ?)

Amicalement,
Octave