I had the same problem with the 2.2.14pre18 configuration I'm using.  I
can tell you how to get around it, but not why it happens.  (Hey, I'm a
newbie!)

If you edit the /etc/fstab and tell the system not to dump or e2fsck the
raid (set the 5th and 6th columns to 0), everything will boot and mount
fine.

Now for the newbie question, provided I remember to e2fsck /dev/md0
manually if I ever lose power or crash in a bad way, am I actually asking
for trouble by doing this?

-AndyB