I am planning to set up a large ide raid5 system. From reading the
archives of the list it looks like the way to go is with promise
ultra66 cards, making sure that I have good cables. I am hopeing
to get a minimum of 8 drives into a machine. My current plan is for
the following config:-

37gig IBM ide drives
2.2.14 kernel (or may be a 2.3 series)
software raid5
Promise Ultra66 cards
Good quality cabling
extra fans

Any comments or suggestions ? I don't care about performance (it's
only competing against tape drives), however I do care about dollars
per gigabyte and reliablity.

thanks

--
Franc Carter                            MEMLab, University of Sydney
Ph: 61-2-9351-7819                      Fax: 9351-6461