Franc Carter wrote:

> I am planning to set up a large ide raid5 system. From reading the
> archives of the list it looks like the way to go is with promise
> ultra66 cards, making sure that I have good cables. I am hopeing
> to get a minimum of 8 drives into a machine. My current plan is for
> the following config:-
>
> 37gig IBM ide drives
> 2.2.14 kernel (or may be a 2.3 series)
> software raid5
> Promise Ultra66 cards
> Good quality cabling
> extra fans
>
> Any comments or suggestions ? I don't care about performance (it's
> only competing against tape drives), however I do care about dollars
> per gigabyte and reliablity.

Personally I'd recomend getting 8-channels for your drives.  (1 per
channel)  This will make things a bit more expensive (not too much
though), and will make your whole system a lot happier.  Of course, if
you really don't care about performance, then you should be getting
cheaper IDE controllers, and cheaper drives.  The two that you've got
picked out are high end for IDE components.  What kind of a case are you
looking to house this in?
        Greg